Thank you for a successful Flood Relief Trading Day.
A new housing project seeks to change perceptions on affordable housing
Affordable housing is an issue that has deep ramifications for how we protect and care for people experiencing vulnerability. It impacts women and children experiencing family violence, older women, and as a society, makes us aware of the work we still need to do.
A project underway in Marrickville, NSW, seeks to rethink affordable housing from the ground up. It is the result of a global examination of affordable housing solutions undertaken by leading women support charity, Good Shepherd, in partnership with RMIT University and supported with philanthropic funding from the Siddle Family Foundation.
It is a cause chosen by NAB’s online share trading platform, nabtrade, for this year’s Charity Trading Day. All trading revenue earned on the day goes to charities making a difference in their local community. This year’s event is on Tuesday, October 31.
The $40 million Marrickville housing development will provide 40for women aged over 55 and is being co-designed with women of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds who have experienced homelessness or housing vulnerability. This co-design approach initiated by Good Shepherd and RMIT is to ensure the building design and support services will meet the needs of the residents and foster a sense of belonging and wellbeing.
Stella Avramopoulos, Good Shepherd Chief Executive Officer said: “For 160 years, we have supported women, girls and families in Australia. We have seen affordable housing emerge as a clear need in the community, so we are compelled to respond. With the support of our partners, we can bring this project to life and create safe, affordable and tailored environments for women to live full and dignified lives.”
Partnering with RMIT was a clear fit for the innovation Good Shepherd was seeking to inject:
Through the co-design approach, the goal is to bring together those with lived experience of affordable housing barriers with local communities, government, philanthropy, and corporate partners to shift patterns of thinking and deliver real change.
“There are three fundamental requirements for human life – food, shelter, and clothing. I would also add community and belonging to that. Universities are a hotbed of innovation and new ways of thinking. The opportunity to be part of this transformative process and development is a perfect fit for the skills and knowledge of Social Work and Human Services staff at RMIT, as well as our commitment to be part of solutions that benefit society” said Associate Professor Robyn Martin, RMIT University
Good Shepherd is currently raising the funds to bring the project to life. With an expected completion date in mid-2026, the model developed at Marrickville will be shared widely to help change the thinking and design of new affordable housing precincts in Australia.
Corporate support is a key funding component of the project and nabtrade will use funds raised this year to support the development, which NAB is helping to finance.
nabtrade’s support to Good Shepherd adds to an extensive 20-year partnership between NAB and Good Shepherd. Since 2003, Good Shepherd and NAB have provided almost 370,000 microfinance loans worth $464.7 million. In doing so, the partnership has helped almost 1 million Australians on low incomes, primarily through access to loans with no interest or fees (via the No Interest Loans (NILs) program) so that eligible clients can access essential goods and services.
Charity Trading Day has given nabtrade an opportunity to give back to communities since the first event in 2017. Each year it has grown and now in collaboration with the ASX, it is part of a broader group of the financial services community that is banding together to provide support to charities helping Australians in need.
Self-Directed Wealth Executive, Hannah Oakhill said, “every year since 2017 nabtrade has donated a day’s brokerage to charity – an initiative our colleagues and clients love to get behind. It’s a great way for them to make an impact through their investing.”
On Tuesday 31 October 2023 nabtrade will donate 80% of brokerage earned on the day to Good Shepherd to help build safe, affordable housing for women at risk of homelessness. As part of our role as principal sponsors in the ASX’s Annual Markets Day for Charity the remaining 20% will contribute to the funds raised in support of a wide range of Australian-based charities.
“All trades on the day will help support Australians in need. We urge all investors to get behind this great cause and show your support by trading with nabtrade this Charity Trading Day,” said Ms Oakhill.
For more information or to contribute on nabtrade Charity Trading Day, please visit www.nabtrade.com.au/charityday.
© National Australia Bank Limited. ABN 12 004 044 937 AFSL and Australian Credit Licence 230686.