Bond markets have been supported by some market-friendly data and while Fed speakers were again mixed, it was the more dovish remarks that captured attention.
Sustainable Finance Update: December 2021
A look at what’s been happening in the sustainable finance market – in Australia and abroad.
Sustainable finance market overview
- Sustainable debt issuance year to date has surpassed US$1.5 trillion as at 30 November 2021.
- Green bonds were the most popular format, representing 39.3% of all sustainable issuance, followed by sustainable linked loans at 24.3%.
Selected recent deals
- KiwiRail closes world’s first Green Shipping Loan to be certified by the Climate Bond Initiative.
- Summerset completes New Zealand’s largest SLL to date and a first in the NZ retirement village sector.
- The UK’s Green Gilt becomes the largest inaugural sovereign issuance.
- QTC prints largest A$ Green Bond to date.
- BOC issues world first Sustainability Re-Linked Bond.
Investor and market news
- APRA finalises prudential guidance on managing the financial risks of climate change.
- COP26 closes with several key outcomes for the global economy.
- SBTi publishes Net-Zero Standard Framework for Corporates and Financial Institutions.
- The Port of Newcastle announces Green Hydrogen Hub.