US and European markets have begun the new week a subdued mood. But core global bond yields are showing some life, lower across the board while the USD is a tad softer too
Sustainable Finance Update: August 2021
A look at what’s been happening in the sustainable finance market – in Australia and abroad.
Sustainable finance market overview
- Sustainable debt issuance hits record levels and tops 10% of global bond markets issuance in HY21, with cumulative sustainable debt issuance expected to soar past US$4tn by early 2022.
- Climate risk tops diplomatic agendas and regulation accelerates as COP26 approaches.
Selected recent deals
- Wesfarmers issues first Sustainability-Linked Bond in the Australian market.
- Anchor Hanover issues UK’s largest housing association Sustainability Bond.
- NAB executes 5th Sustainability Linked Derivative.
- Kathmandu closes New Zealand’s largest syndicated Sustainability Linked Loan.
- Royal Adelaide Hospital completes largest Sustainability Loan in the healthcare sector.
Investor and market news
- NAB joins global banks to launch carbon offsets platform.
- 2021 updates to Green Bond Principles, Social Bond Principles, Sustainability Bond Guidelines and Sustainability Linked Loan Principles released.
- ASIC review addressing the threat of greenwashing.
- Rise of judicial activism observed in the Australian Federal Court and the Dutch Court.